Roughly 30% of all workplace injuries involve cuts or lacerations.
This includes everything from scratches and abrasions to needlesticks, puncture wounds and amputations.
- Not enough training
- No safety culture
- Rushing or taking shortcuts
- Failure to wear proper hand protection
- Missing or improperly adjusted guarding equipment
Why is this still an issue when the solution is simple?
- Wear proper PPE, including eyewear, gloves & long sleeves.
The first thing you can do is get a glove that addresses the hazards you face.
If you're an electrician, you will need to consider cut resistance, puncture resistance, dexterity & possibly protection from arc flash.
In construction, you will need to look at the back of hand protection & vibration dampening palm padding.
- Use the right tool for the job
- Use a sharp blade and replace dull blades when needed
- Never leave an exposed blade unattended
- Machines need to be properly guarded
- Fall hazards need to be removed or assessed
- Lockout/tagout systems should be put in place
- Staff should be adequately trained
- Check PPE for damage & wear
- Remove snag hazards such as jewellery & make sure clothes are fitted properly
- Keep work areas clean and clear
- Train, Remind, Prepare
Get in touch with us to prevent cuts & lacerations along with plenty of claims:
OR contact us.