Sleep may be the very thing that saves your company and I'm about to tell you why.
Firstly though, I am going to talk a little bit about Swiss Cheese.
Simply put: The “Swiss Cheese Accident Causation Model” is a theoretical model by James T. Reason and is used in risk analysis, management and prevention.
The components of an organization are represented as a slice of cheese.
Management, operational support and a safety program would all be seen as a slice.
Each layer is a defence against something going wrong.
Any weaknesses in a slice creates a hole. This may not be a huge issue but when failures follow a path through all the holes in the swiss cheese because the holes have ‘lined up’ throughout your organization, this may result in an accident.
- The majority of swiss cheese models you see would look like this- the arrow showing the journey of the hazard making its way through all the weaknesses to result in a major accident…
- But how about this?
Not as much to do with cheese giving you bad dreams as you think.
This model I designed is showing sleep as the simple answer to preventing accidents.
For stat lovers:
One study shows that insomnia may well be the cause of more than 274, 000 occupational accidents and errors in the U.S. every year at a cost of £24 billion.
Also causing the equivalent of 11.3 lost days of productivity annually amounting to more than £49 billion in lost productivity across the nation each year.
So when should you start budgeting for tiredness?
Pretty soon it would seem, or save cash and follow in some of the world’s top companies’ footsteps.
With Google offering employees “nap pods” and Crazy Inc. (Japan) awarding staff with points that can be exchanged for food worth as much as £443 a year, but only when they sleep at least 6 hours each night, five days a week.
What will sleep do for your company?
It will increase workplace safety
- Employees who are sleep deprived are more likely to be involved in workplace accidents.
- 22 hours of sleep deprivation results in neuro behavioural performance impairments that are comparable to a 0.08 percent blood alcohol level which is legally drunk.
It will reduce absenteeism
- Chronic sleep deprivation can cause a variety of health issues ranging from mild to severe. These conditions include everything from chronic fatigue to diabetes, cardiovascular disease, stroke and even dementia. It goes without saying that employees with these conditions are more likely to require more days off.
- 4+ nights of partial sleep deprivation containing less than 7 hours of sleep per night can be equivalent to a total night of sleep deprivation. A single night of total sleep deprivation can affect your functioning for up to two weeks.
It will keep your team motivated
- Less sleep = more grumpiness. And grumpy workers could engulf your entire culture in gloom. If you need help with getting a happy team and motivated employees try out happymoodscore.com
In conclusion, well-rested employees are of huge importance to your company.
Sleep will save you money.
Sleep will prevent accidents.
Sleep will keep your employees.
Sleep will keep your great culture.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. I really hope you enjoyed it!